- "For a Libertarian Communism:" A collection of essays now available in English
In this collection of essays, written between the 1950s and 1980s and published here for the first time in English, Guérin not only provides a critique of the socialist and communist parties of his day, he analyzes some of the most fundamental and pressing questions with which all radicals must engage. He does this by revisiting and attempting to draw lessons from the history of the revolutionary movement from the French Revolution, through the conflicts between anarchists and Marxists in the International Workingmen’s Association and the Russian and Spanish revolutions, to the social revolution of 1968. These are not just abstract theoretical reflections, but are informed by the experiences of a lifetime of revolutionary commitments and by his constant willingness to challenge orthodoxies of all kinds: “Far from allowing ourselves to sink into doubt, inaction, and despair, the time has come for the left to begin again from zero, to rethink its problems from their very foundations. The failure of both reformism and Stalinism imposes on us the urgent duty to find a way of reconciling (proletarian) democracy with socialism, freedom with Revolution.” Read more or order the book online via the PM Press website.
More information on the publisher's website
- April 2018: Republication of "La Peste brune" (The Brown Plague) in French language
- David Berry's research paper on "The roots of Daniel Guérin’s revolutionary socialism" (November 2014). Read the article
- November 2014: Republication of "Fascisme et grand capital" (Fascism and Big business) in French language
The sixth and most complete edition since the first publication in the 1930s with an afterword by Dwight Macdonald. 608 pages, 20 euros. More information on the publisher's website
- October 2013: Republication of "Front Populaire, révolution manquée" in French language
“As with every great social movement, understanding the reasons for its failure feeds the memory of the struggles in order to draw lessons”, according to Agone, the publisher of this work which is both eye-witness account and analysis, a “true classic of the social history of the 20th century”. Foreword by Charles Jacquier, afterword by Barthélémy Schwartz. 504 pages, 16 pages of photos, 25 euros. For more information and to order online, click here.
- April 2013: Republication of "Bourgeois et bras-nus" in French language
The publisher Libertalia has provided an extended preface by Claude Guillon, as well as essential extracts ainsi from "La Révolution déjacobinisée", a text in which Guérin explains the relation between his work as a historian and his libertarian political project. 400 pages, 18 euros. For further information and to order on line, visit the Libertalia site.
Les Bons Caractères
- Jan. 2010: 'De l'Oncle Tom aux Panthères Noires' republished
are republishing 'De l'Oncle Tom aux Panthères Noires' (published first in 1973). In addition to the relation of Afro-Americans' history and movement for three centuries, Guérin offers a valuable testimony of their living conditions in the second half of the 20th century.
- 2009: The Mauriac-Guérin correspondence unveiled
In his biography of François Mauriac ("Mauriac : une biographie intime - I. 1885-1940", Fayard), Jean-Luc Barré publishes a part of the two writers' correspondence. Read Anne Guérin's comment
- October 2008: "Paris Gay 1925" republished
First published in 1981, this book provides a rich view of gay life in Paris in the 20's, including an interview with Daniel Guérin
Authors: Gilles Barbedette & Michel Carassou – Publisher: Non Lieu – 35 euros
- June, 2008: "Sartre et Daniel Guérin : débats et controverses sur la Révolution française"
Contribution of Jean Ducange at the symposium of Groupe d'Etudes Sartriennes, June 20-21 2008, Paris IV Sorbonne, ampitheâtre Michelet - Listen to the contribution
- March, 2007: "Daniel Guérin, révolutionnaire en mouvement"
, a French language review, dedicated a special issue to Daniel Guérin. Key political and personal aspects of his life are analysed by H. Baudry, D. Berry, S. Boulouque, D. Gordon, J. Guseva, J. Ducange, Th. Hohl, L. Esquerre, L. Muhleisen, D. Renton and R. Schwarzwald.
- 2006 : "Daniel Guérin et le discours militant sur l'homosexualité masculine en France (années 1950-années 1980)"
Alexandre Marchant's article in Revue d'histoire moderne et contemporaine, N°53-4, following his academic works at ENS Cachan / Paris X Nanterre, June 2005 Purchase the article
- 2005: Creation of the society 'Association des amis de Daniel Guérin'
- Meeting of the members of the former Cercle Daniel Guérin (June 11, 2005)
- Creation of the society (Nov. 14, 2005)
- Daniel Guérin at the Ateliers anarchistes
, Montréal, Québec (May 16, 2004)
held by Alternative libertaire (May 19, 2004)
on Daniel Guérin at the Loughborough university, GB (Sept. 17-19, 2004)
- Creation of the website DanielGuerin.info